Pages

Monday, July 15, 2013

Patriotic wreath...How-to!

With the 4th of July just passing, I frantically realized I didn't have a flag up at my house. So, I made due with the materials I had in my house...and I think it was a wonderful attempt to be patriotic and original. See below for a how-to:


Materials:

  • Burlap
  • Red, blue and white paint
  • Paint brush
  • Spray paint clear varnish
  • Thicker molding wire
  • Burlap ribbon
  • Hot glue gun
  • Cotton stuffing
These are all materials I have in my house, hence why I made it.
  1. Cut the burlap out in a wavy shape 2 identical times, like as if the "flag" was flowing in the wind.  This is so that the burlap can be stuffed. Also, cut out 2 identical stars. 
  2. Paint the entire surface of the flowing flag white. You will only be painting the front side. Paint the entire surface of the star blue...again you are only painting one side blue. 
  3. For the flag, paint red swirls all over it...I added occasional red dots too. For the star, I painted white polka dots all over it.
  4. Hot glue 3 of the 4 sides together for the flag. For the star, hot glue all of the sides together except for one of the points...these left open areas are where you will stuff it.
  5. Stuff the flag and star with cotton until it has a shape. Do not overstuff.
  6. Glue the remaining side of the star and flag together.
  7. Next you hot glue the start to the top left corner of the flag.
  8. I cut the wire so that it could be the "hanger". When puncturing the burlap, I then molded the wire to curl on either side. 
  9. I added a burlap bow from ribbon at the top for looks...its not necessary.
  10. Lastly, I sprayed the front and back side of the flag and star with the clear spray paint varnish to keep it protected from rain and to harden the surface. 
Here is the finished product. God Bless America!!! Love my country!



Happy DIYing!
Gretel

No comments:

Post a Comment